what is the word <$BlogRSDURL$>

what is the word

« ·´ ` · . ( * · . ¸ ( ` · . ¸ ¸ . · ´ ) ¸ . · * ) . · ´ ` · » « · ´ ¨ * · . ¸ ¸ . . ¸ ¸ . · * ¨ ` · » « · ´ ` · . ( ¸ . · ´ ( ¸ . · * * · . ¸ ) ` · . ¸ ) . · ´ ` · » « · ´ ` · . ( * · . ¸ ( ` · . ¸ ¸ . · ´ ) ¸ . · * ) . · ´ ` · » « · ´ ¨ * · . ¸ ¸ . . ¸ ¸ . · * ¨ ` · » « · ´ ` · . ( ¸ . · ´ ( ¸ . · * * · . ¸ ) ` · . ¸ ) . · ´ ` · » «· ´ ` ·. ( * · . ¸ ( ` · . ¸ ¸ . · ´ ) ¸ . · * ) . · ´ ` · » « · ´ ¨ * ·.

Tuesday, April 13, 2004

So in my constant quest to broaden my horizons (i.e. try not to be so scornfully dismissive of the wide world of sports), I went with my friend Joe to see the Mets at the opening day of Shea stadium. It was a miserable day, very cold & drizzling intermittently. We had seats in the nosebleed section, in the very last row all the way at the top of the stands. I'm not afraid of heights normally, but there's something about baseball stadiums that strike terror in my heart. It's so high & so steep, & everywhere one is surrounded by the type of people who are clearly the most susceptible to mob mentality. I'm talking about grown men in baseball jerseys with someone else's name on the back. I know it's socially acceptable, but it sort of weirds me out. Some of them were even wearing the hard plastic baseball hats, even tho there doesn't seem to be a reason for those as casual wear. As I lighted cigarette after surreptitious cigarette, the paranoia that everyone in baseball paraphernalia was a ballpark official & was going to bust me eventually dissipated. I mean practically everyone had Mets gear on, except Joe & me.
But mob mentality it was, definitely, surreally. It seemed like no matter what happened a great shout would go up & everyone would pitch in. At one point, as I huddled in the cold, too freezing & apathetic about the game to stand with everyone else, I heard a chorus of "Show us your tits! Show us your tits!" followed by hoots & whistles.

- What happened? I asked Joe.

- Someone showed their tits, he replied.

So I stood up, since this was better than baseball, to see a lively looking woman several rows below us, facing the crowd & smiling. She had a red sweater on, & after a few rounds of "Do it again! Do it again! Do it again!" she lifted it up, & rather dexterously pulled down both cups of her black satin bra, revealing a pretty nice set of tan looking tits.
She got taken away by security, but not before a rousing chorus of "Thank you! Thank you! Thank you!" from the drunken fans to my left.
After that the highlight of the game was a scary looking accident that happened in our section. This guy wearing a blue rain poncho that looked like a garbage bag was coming up the slippery stairs with a tray of food & beers. When he got to his row, which was just across the stairs from ours, he was handing something to his buddy & fell over, backwards, into the row below his. It was a terrible looking fall, very dramatic & far-reaching, as he fell backwards & rather sideways across three people -- a guy of about twenty-five, a woman who appeared to be his mother, & a younger woman who appeared to be his girlfriend. When it first happened no one was paying attention to the people who got fallen on; the guy who fell was clearly injured & remained sort of motionless for awhile there. This didn't stop the drunken fans at my left from laughing & jeering, but at one point I saw the guy's bloody elbow sticking out of the blue garbage bag & I swear I glimpsed bone.
The weird part was that the twenty-five year-old who got hit was not taking it well. By not taking it well, I mean he was crying like a baby. Obviously, I don't know how injured he was, & it could have really, really, really fucking hurt, but the way he was crying was odd. He just put his head in his hands & cried for ages. Every once in awhile he'd rub his neck (which I guess is where his boo-boo was), & his mom & girlfriend took turns comforting him, but it was a strange, childish reaction. At one point, after about half an hour of these theatrics, Bloody Blue Garbage Bag went over & appeared to be trying to sincerely apologize. But the crying guy was not having it, because in a second BBGB was back up & going sheepishly back to his seat.
But that wasn't all. The crying guy's hissy fit lasted the rest of the game -- at least two more hours. He sort of stopped crying, but he maintained an incredibly wounded expression & every once in awhile he would rub his neck, scowl harder than ever, then put his head in his hands with great fanfare. For the whole game.
I wasn't exactly being stoic myself; I was freezing & like an idiot I hadn't worn socks under my moccasins & I kept pestering Joe about when we could leave. "We stay til it's over," he kept saying. Then he'd motion at the baby. "That guy is still here."
So we ended up staying the whole time, right up until the end, even tho by the bottom of the 7th people were leaving the place in droves. Joe said we couldn't leave, & that furthermore, so long as we stayed we were better than the people who'd left.
It was worth it tho. I learned a lot. Did you catch that "bottom of the 7th"? It sounded natural, didn't it?
The only thing I regret is that Mike Piazza wasn't playing. Everybody hates him or something now, I guess, but I kind of think he's hot. Yow, check him out with that gum!



Comments: Post a Comment

Archives

12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004   01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004   02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004   03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004   04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004   05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004   06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004   07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004   08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004   09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004   10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004   11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004   12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005   01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005   02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005   03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005   04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005   05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005   06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005   07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005   08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005   09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005  


i heart blogs: ((mike toole)) ((melly)) ((anise)) ((stuart)) ((bring it)) ((paul)) ((TRUEBOY)) ((morgan)) ((marguerite)) ((dave)) ((apple)) ((antidisestablishmentarian)) ((stacy)) ((brigita)) ((ethan)) ((polly)) ((anna)) ((bill)) ((joe)) ((trish)) ((lisa)) ((the cap'n)) ((nicole)) ((dan)) ((sandy)) ((unRat)) ((the hun)) ((jamie)) ((radiohumper)) ((georgia)) ((the slot)) ((bemsha swing)) ((la coquette)) ((gawker)) ((ryan))

i heart new york: ((blogs to read)) ((necessary)) ((literary)) ((observatory)) ((stuff to do)) ((more stuff to do)) ((don't get lost))

i heart art: ((matt curtis)) ((brad)) ((taxidermy)) ((electric heat)) ((liz mcgrath)) ((FFF)) ((shattered lens)) ((italian marble)) ((artblog))

but most of all, i heart you. thanks for coming.

now give it to me
cos i just want 2 love u

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?