what is the word <$BlogRSDURL$>

what is the word

« ·´ ` · . ( * · . ¸ ( ` · . ¸ ¸ . · ´ ) ¸ . · * ) . · ´ ` · » « · ´ ¨ * · . ¸ ¸ . . ¸ ¸ . · * ¨ ` · » « · ´ ` · . ( ¸ . · ´ ( ¸ . · * * · . ¸ ) ` · . ¸ ) . · ´ ` · » « · ´ ` · . ( * · . ¸ ( ` · . ¸ ¸ . · ´ ) ¸ . · * ) . · ´ ` · » « · ´ ¨ * · . ¸ ¸ . . ¸ ¸ . · * ¨ ` · » « · ´ ` · . ( ¸ . · ´ ( ¸ . · * * · . ¸ ) ` · . ¸ ) . · ´ ` · » «· ´ ` ·. ( * · . ¸ ( ` · . ¸ ¸ . · ´ ) ¸ . · * ) . · ´ ` · » « · ´ ¨ * ·.

Tuesday, March 08, 2005

It's pretty romantic the way the snow is hurling itself around sideways outside. I got up to go to lunch & my co-worker freaked out. "Bundle up first!" he said, standing up for some reason. "Make sure you take an umbrella & stay warm!" I hate it when people freak out about the weather. As if the weather were going to stop me from doing anything.
In fact I didn't go to lunch at all; I took the Q one stop to the Strand. It was perhaps the first time I found even one of the things I was even vaguely looking for at the Strand. I went in with the definite intention of finding Black Lamb & Grey Falcon, but I was already resigned to not finding it because I didn't know if it should be classified as novel, travel memoir, non-fiction or history. If Geoff Dyer doesn't know, how the hell should I or, more precisely, the employees of the Strand be expected to know?
After I gave up on BL&GF I tried to find something by Ryu Murakami. There were about a thousand things by Haruki but not a single title from Ryu. Then I thought I might read Orlando, but the three copies under Woolf had the promotional cover from the movie, which I can't stand in books. It's needlessly snobbish but the whole idea of it seems wrong & I refuse even to be seen with one of those. All in all the experience was typically Strandy, till suddenly I spied a normal, non-Tilda-Swinton-covered copy of Orlando on one of those rolling shelves. Those rolling shelves are practically the only bastions of reason & decency at the Strand, thank God for them.
I don't know why I'm telling you this, or why I am blogging at all. Frankly I am rebelling against the sudden paralysis that struck me after a literary agent emailed me about my blog. That just about floored me. I could hardly write a word after that.
So, in rebellion then, I'll write a line or two more. Blogs are very silly, aren't they? Last nite Anise & I watched Before Sunset, which somehow managed to win best picture of 2004 from the Village Voice. Anise & I were categorically unfloored, tho I must say we were entertained. At one point they were walking along in the Bois de Boulogne or somewhere terribly romantic & wooded like that & Ethan Hawke was going on & on about his writing & his book & Anise said, "Aren't you just waiting for him to mention his fucking blog? Isn't he just the type? Like, & then I started blogging & it changed everything!"
I think we laughed for about a million years after that.
To conclude, the best things about the movie were: Julie Delpy, Julie Delpy's black lace-trimmed top, & Julie Delpy's Nina Simone impression. The end.

Comments:
hey sandy!
being that it was one day, it was technically one outfit, tho yeah, i adored that jacket she had too.
her song was great. she was fantastic. the only part about her song that sucked was when, from time to time, they cut to ethan leering at her from the couch.
 
A literary agent emailed you about your blog? Jesus, I have to stop blogging about my ass. I didn't know other people actually read these things....
 
Blogs aren't as silly as literary agents but word up for you! Just make sure he or she didn't go to Cornell. Those are the worst ones and they never can get drunk.

That Dyer article was dope. Thank God. Last week I had to deal with that corporate J.S. Foer, but tonight I can just bask in Dyer saying "Jazz is a trace but it’s not a defining trace"
 
i know, wasnt that dyer article great? the end is the best. i just like to imagine geoff dyer lying in bed thinking "burning man! burning man! burning man!"
*sigh* hes adorable.
 
You know that reminds me, about 3 years ago I spent 6 months searching for a copy of 'Out of Sheer Rage' and could never find it. Did you read it? Is it worth me looking again?
 
i LOVED out of sheer rage. are you a DH Lawrence fan? -- tho it doesnt matter anyway.
i would offer to loan you my copy but for some reason i cant remember if i own it, or if i borrowed it from someone. stuart, did i borrow it from you?
 
Nope, you didn't borrow it from me, I never found it. (Though I just did on alibris.com.)

And as for DH. Does the dirty one count?
 
no, for some reason i think i borrowed it from stuart. i have a terrible memory about that sort of thing. but its a great book, you should get it. its all about how geoff dyer is procrastinating writing this book about dh lawrence & then somehow he writes it anyway.
is the dirty one lady chatterlys lover? yes that counts.
the thing about out of sheer rage is that geoff dyer gets you all excited about reading DHL's letters & journals. he doesnt give a crap about the novels.
 
hey--let's hang out again soon.

write me, mmmk?
 
id love to. ill write you a proper email tomorrow. today im working on
not enough sleep & not feeling articulate-ish.
 
Did you just pull an Anise?

Anyway, to round it out I did lend you that and then I lent it to the the maniac. She liked it too and she is actually a scholar, so that works. She still has it, actually.

I can't think of anyone who is as serious about fiction as Jeff Dyer is. In fact I wish I was his literary agent so I could get his Beirut trip re-published, since Lebanon is so hot right now.
 
i did pull an anise, didnt i? im gonna fix that in a minute.
lebanon is so hot right now... you crack me up...
i love geoff dyer so much i actually PREFER geoff spelt "geoff" now, & i used to hate it. dont call him jeff again.
 
what's an "anise"? i am dying to know.
 
of course you are. An anise is putting up a post and then taking it down. Maybe we should put it in that urban dictionary.

Sorry for the Geoff Jeff. I love him so much I just Jeff'd him, since Geoff is pretty corny, even for a British guy. But from now on only Geoffs'. I was thinking a lot today about that Beirut story and how terrible it was for him to be there. How awful the TV was, how terrible the luxury hotel.
 
Post a Comment

Archives

12/01/2003 - 01/01/2004   01/01/2004 - 02/01/2004   02/01/2004 - 03/01/2004   03/01/2004 - 04/01/2004   04/01/2004 - 05/01/2004   05/01/2004 - 06/01/2004   06/01/2004 - 07/01/2004   07/01/2004 - 08/01/2004   08/01/2004 - 09/01/2004   09/01/2004 - 10/01/2004   10/01/2004 - 11/01/2004   11/01/2004 - 12/01/2004   12/01/2004 - 01/01/2005   01/01/2005 - 02/01/2005   02/01/2005 - 03/01/2005   03/01/2005 - 04/01/2005   04/01/2005 - 05/01/2005   05/01/2005 - 06/01/2005   06/01/2005 - 07/01/2005   07/01/2005 - 08/01/2005   08/01/2005 - 09/01/2005   09/01/2005 - 10/01/2005  


i heart blogs: ((mike toole)) ((melly)) ((anise)) ((stuart)) ((bring it)) ((paul)) ((TRUEBOY)) ((morgan)) ((marguerite)) ((dave)) ((apple)) ((antidisestablishmentarian)) ((stacy)) ((brigita)) ((ethan)) ((polly)) ((anna)) ((bill)) ((joe)) ((trish)) ((lisa)) ((the cap'n)) ((nicole)) ((dan)) ((sandy)) ((unRat)) ((the hun)) ((jamie)) ((radiohumper)) ((georgia)) ((the slot)) ((bemsha swing)) ((la coquette)) ((gawker)) ((ryan))

i heart new york: ((blogs to read)) ((necessary)) ((literary)) ((observatory)) ((stuff to do)) ((more stuff to do)) ((don't get lost))

i heart art: ((matt curtis)) ((brad)) ((taxidermy)) ((electric heat)) ((liz mcgrath)) ((FFF)) ((shattered lens)) ((italian marble)) ((artblog))

but most of all, i heart you. thanks for coming.

now give it to me
cos i just want 2 love u

This page is powered by Blogger. Isn't yours?